Wandoan Camel Races
Currently experiencing a down-turn due to a mining boom gone bust, our town will come to life once again when the Wandoan Camel Races roll into town on Saturday 20th July 2019.
Good old-fashioned country picnic races for the whole family is what Wandoan Camel Races is all about, and with a crowd of over 2000 people in 2018 – it proves what a great day it is for all ages.
To kick off the weekend a pre-races themed night will be held on the Friday night for those travellers who arrive early in town.
The racing program commences Saturday with 2019’s program featuring six camel races, ridden by nominated jockeys from the crowd. With a range of racing camels from fast to plain stubborn this is a must see spectacle. For those who enjoy a flutter on the races, our sweep booth will be open where you could win a cash dividend if you place the first three camels in order across the line.
In between each camel race, our miniature racing pigs will be out in action, navigating their course to see which pig will be the first home to the red bowl. With it not always being the fastest, but the smartest pig who wins the race, it really is something you have to see with your own eyes.
In addition to the camel and pig races, there will be a large range of rides and entertainment for children, a trackside marquee with live entertainment, fashions on the field, full operating bar, canteen, novelty races for young and old and a wide range of market stalls. It is a pet-friendly event, however we ask that all animals be on leads at all times and pet owners clean up after their pets.
With a gold coin donation as entry and cheap camping options, it is an inexpensive weekend packed full of entertainment and good old-fashioned country hospitality for young and old.
On top of the Camel Races there are a few other must dos while you’re in town.
- Take a picnic to enjoy around the lakes of the restful Waterloo Plain Environmental Park with many waterbirds thriving in the wetlands.
- Visit the Juandah Historical Site which is the original site of Juandah Station, which was later known as Wandoan. This site hosts a Folk Museum of local heritage items and social history. Here you can walk through many old buildings showcasing local history and life ‘back in the day’ and learn more about the life of the Wandoan District, from the exploits of Ludwig Leichhardt in 1844 to the intriguing stories of the Soldier Settler Land Ballots in the 1950s.
- Explore the Wandoan Heritage Trail with more than 20 points of interest.
- Drop a line in one of the many fishing spots around town.
- Call into Possum Park which is on the site of a former Air Force base that was used to secretly hide bombs during WW2. With 20 underground bunkers on site, some of which have been converted into accommodation, with one of the bunkers beautifully set-up as a museum of the WWII days, it is a very evocative place to view the war relics and memorabilia. There is also an ex-army Jeep and an army Blitz truck and other war relics around the park.
- Stop over in our neighbouring town of Miles to visit the Miles Historical Village Museum. Here you literally step back in time to explore more than 30 buildings in a streetscape setting. Authentic and exact replica turn-of-the-century buildings feature alongside amazing shell and lapidary displays and an extensive collection of war memorabilia.
Our town has many fantastic low-cost camping and caravanning facilities available ranging from free to $21per night.
- Waterloo Plain Environmental Park – FREE
- Juandah Heritage Site - $15 per night
- Wandoan Showgrounds - $21 per night
We would really love to welcome your group to our town for the 2019 Wandoan Camel Races and are more than willing to assist your group with any questions you may have. In addition, we also have an event website (due to be updated for 2019 in the near future), which may answer any additional questions you may have. www.wandoancamelraces.com.au If your group is interested in visiting our town for a weekend of country hospitality and entertainment, we look forward to hearing from you to assist in any arrangements you may need. Also check us out on FaceBook.